08 January 2013

Lullaby.


Most of the time Ezra is really good about falling asleep for naps. We read a book, sing some lullabies, and then I lay him down with sock monkey. He's out in less than five minutes. I was thinking I really had a magical voice that was like unto a dreamy siren song that no heavy eyed baby could resist. But I was wrong. Lately with three teeth coming in, it's tallied as a win if it only takes two tries to get him down and he sleeps for 45 minutes

I read this post by Design Mom about lullabies. When I was scared or had a bad dream, my mom would always sing me "My Favorite Things" from The Sound of Music. I still have tender feelings whenever I hear it. I usually sing "You Are My Sunshine" and "My Heavenly Father Loves Me" to Ezra because they're the first songs that come to mind and I know all the words. Maybe when he gets older and is feeling sad and is far from home, he'll listen to them and feel a little better about life. Or maybe he'll completely resent them because they signaled the end of play time.

If the sandman has been missing your stop, here are some dreamy melodies to slow your mind and weigh down your eyelids. A lot of these songs were recommended in the Design Mom blog post.

1 comment: